- This event has passed.
Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) for Investment Advisers
This course is designed to provide an overview of the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®), including:
- How the GIPS standards began and the concept of composite performance
- The fundamentals of compliance, including defining the firm, defining discretion, composite construction, performance calculation, and creating a compliant presentation
- Guidance on what is required of a firm that claims compliance with the GIPS standards
- Benefits of compliance, both to the advisory firm and the investing public
- Requirements for maintaining compliance on an ongoing basis
- Explanation of the GIPS verification process and what it entails
- Introduction to advanced topics such as portability, error correction, and how the GIPS standards are applied to alternative investment products.
- Understanding of how the GIPS standards relate to regulatory requirements for performance advertising
Topics, among others, to be discussed include:
Defining GIPS; history of GIPS; guidance on claiming compliance; testing compliance; benefits of GIPS; SEC oversight of compliance; introduction of advanced topics including portability, error correction, and application to alternative investment products.
This virtual course is being taught as part of the August Investment Adviser Certified Compliance Professional Symposium.
After attending this course, attendees should be able to:
- Identify the purpose and goals of the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS)
- Evaluate the fundamental requirements that must be met before a firm can claim compliance with the GIPS standards
- Articulate how the GIPS standards are viewed by regulators and how the Standards relate to regulatory requirements for performance advertising
For Whom: Designed to increase the professional competence of investment advisers with legal, compliance, operations, financial, and management responsibilities.
Suggested Skill Level: Basic
Instructional Method: Group Internet-Based
Pre-requisites for participation: No prerequisites are required.
Advance Preparation: None