- This event has passed.
Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) for Investment Advisers
This course is designed to provide an overview of the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®), including:
- How the GIPS standards began and the concept of composite performance
- The fundamentals of compliance, including defining the firm, defining discretion, composite construction, performance calculation, and creating a compliant presentation
- Guidance on what is required of a firm that claims compliance with the GIPS standards
- Benefits of compliance, both to the advisory firm and the investing public
- Requirements for maintaining compliance on an ongoing basis
- Explanation of the GIPS verification process and what it entails
- Introduction to advanced topics such as portability, error correction, and how the GIPS standards are applied to alternative investment products.
- Understanding of how the GIPS standards relate to regulatory requirements for performance advertising
Topics, among others, to be discussed include:
Defining GIPS; history of GIPS; guidance on claiming compliance; testing compliance; benefits of GIPS; SEC oversight of compliance; introduction of advanced topics including portability, error correction, and application to alternative investment products.
After attending this course, attendees should be able to:
- Identify the purpose and goals of the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS).
- Evaluate the fundamental requirements that must be met before a firm can claim compliance with the GIPS standards.
- Articulate how the GIPS standards are viewed by regulators and how the Standards relate to regulatory requirements for performance advertising
For Whom: Designed to increase the professional competence of investment advisers with legal, compliance, operations, financial, and management responsibilities.
Suggested Skill Level: Basic
Instructional Method: Group Internet-Based
Pre-requisites for participation: No prerequisites are required.
Advance Preparation: None
NRS Continuing Education Guide
Recommended CPE Credit: 2 in the Regulatory Ethics field of study
Recommended IACCP®CE Credit: 2
Recommended CA MCLE Credit: 2