- This event has passed.
Form ADV Part 2 & 3: Identifying & Disclosing Conflicts
This virtual course is being taught as part of the East Coast Investment Adviser Core Compliance Program Symposium.
The Form ADV Part 2 is a “plain English” narrative approach to client disclosure. Investment Advisers are required to file their disclosure brochures electronically and the public has access to these brochures via the Investment Adviser Public Disclosure (IAPD) website. This session will examine the form’s 19 specific disclosure topics, including advisory business, fees and compensation, disciplinary events and brokerage practices. In addition, the session will delve into the mechanics of the Form ADV Part 2B, “brochure supplement,” requirement. An investment adviser representative résumé-like disclosure for each individual providing advice to a client.
Both SEC commissioners and staff continue to emphasize the importance of meaningful, clear and useful disclosure, as well as the need for advisers to avoid legalese and boilerplate disclosures. Lessons learned from prior filings of Form ADV Part 2 will be reviewed to gain further clarity into how to complete the narrative in ways that will withstand current SEC scrutiny. Disclosure on the adviser’s actual practices and conflicts, as well as on practices and conflicts reasonably likely to exist, will be reviewed to highlight material facts concerning conflicts and address the requirement of how the adviser deals with them.
The session will also address:
- How to identify conflicts of interest within the framework of Part 2
- Guidance for disclosing conflicts of interest, compensation arrangements, fee structures and soft dollars arrangements, among other conflicts
- The growing implications of public access to the firm’s brochure on the Investment Adviser Public Disclosure (IAPD) website
After attending this session, attendees should be able to:
- Identify the 19 specific disclosure topics of Form ADV Part 2
- Further identify conflicts of interest within your firm to raise awareness and provide proper disclosure
- Apply “plain English” drafting techniques to the firm’s Form ADV Part 2 to fulfill disclosure requirements
For whom: Designed to increase the professional competence of investment adviser professionals with legal, compliance and management responsibilities
Suggested Skill Level: Basic
Instructional Method: Group Internet-Based and Group-Live
Prerequisites for participation: No prerequisites are required. However, attendees can benefit by reviewing the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and Form ADV to become familiar with structure and terms, and the SEC adopting release IA-3060 – Amendments to Form ADV (July 28, 2010).
Advance Preparation: None